Carjunky.com [ return ]
FromMessage
Willard Ison
 Email

5/12/2004
15:20:35
Subject: 99 Chevy Silverado service 4 wh check light
IP: Logged

I have a 99 silverado 4 wheel drive, and the service 4 wheel drive light comes on, i have checked the serviceing and its good, I have tried to get a code from the computer and it says no codes stored. To reset the light just turn the truck off and restart, lights gone but will come back on again in a couple of days. Sucks to have a chevy silverado z-71.

VALERIE BORDNER
 Email

6/04/2004
02:27:44
RE: 99 Chevy Silverado service 4 wh check light

MINE DOES THE SAME THING. STARTED ABOUT A MONTH AGO AT 83,000 MILES AND EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS IT LIGHTS BACK UP. I READ THAT IT IS A BAD RELAY AND GM IS AWARE OF IT AND IT HAPPENS OFTEN. GUESS THAT MEANS A TRIP TO THE DEALERSHIP. BUT I WAS TOLD IT WAS AN INEXPENSIVE THING TO FIX. GOOD LUCK!!!

VALERIE BORDNER
 Email

6/04/2004
02:27:49

MINE DOES THE SAME THING. STARTED ABOUT A MONTH AGO AT 83,000 MILES AND EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS IT LIGHTS BACK UP. I READ THAT IT IS A BAD RELAY AND GM IS AWARE OF IT AND IT HAPPENS OFTEN. GUESS THAT MEANS A TRIP TO THE DEALERSHIP. BUT I WAS TOLD IT WAS AN INEXPENSIVE THING TO FIX. GOOD LUCK!!!

stupid
 Email

6/04/2004
05:44:32

Willard, I also have a message posted as "2000 Jimmy 4WD problem". Note that prior to (my son's)4WD problem of going into 4WD low at the starting of the engine he was getting the "service 4WD" light for about a month or longer. I'm still asking around about the problem and if I find the answer I will let you know. If you find out something please notify me, thanks.

Dan
 Email

7/06/2004
12:16:45

I have a 2000 Tahoe that the Service 4-Wheel drive light comes on every few days. The Trans has been serviced and is operating correctaly. Is there a way to reset the service light?

Jimmy W Gray
 Email

9/11/2004
04:47:31

I have the same problem with my truck..the only thing that is wrong with it now is that the driver side front seal is leaking..havent had the chance to fix yet, but I checked the oil level..all is good there..not really sure what to do now. I did some research on it and here is one thing I read: Expert Advice, February 2004 edition

Servicing the 4WD Light
Q:I drive a '99 Silverado Z71. The display on my truck says, "Service 4WD." It tends to stall when you switch gears. I took it to the dealership, but they couldn't find anything wrong. The message display box didn't display. They reset it and charged me $70! The next day it came on again. I complained to them about it. This time the message was on while they were checking it with a scanner. According to the scanner everything is running normally. They don't know what it is. Right now I am checking it myself.

A:Your Silverado is equipped with the NVG 236/246 two-speed transfer case. When the "Service AWD/4WD" indicator lights up, there's typically a trouble code set in the Automatic 4WD Transfer Case control module, directing the technician to the cause of the failure. It'll require the appropriate scan tool to read and/or erase the code(s). However, once the condition is no longer present, the light will go out, and the trouble code will then be stored in a "history" category. Once the ignition has been cycled on and off 100 times, the code will then be cleared altogether. Regardless, if the service indicator was consistently on the second time you brought the truck in to the dealer, there's no reason they shouldn't have been able to diagnose the problem. There's always the possibility of a failure activating the light without storing a trouble code in memory, but the light being on solid should still be an easy path to follow by a qualified technician. If it's an intermittent problem and the indicator is off with no trouble codes stored, then diagnosis is that much more difficult and may require considerable time and effort to fix. Give the folks at the Chevy dealer another shot, and leave the truck with them for as long as it takes to get it right. The stalling should be unrelated. Maybe we'll get into that next time.

dustan
 Email

10/28/2004
02:25:59

i took mine to the dealer and go no codes, but was told sometimes it can be a bad 4wd selector switch on the dash, or it can be some computer crap on the transfer case..either is like a $100 somethin part. also the led light next to 2wd 4wd & so on is either bright or dim at times..makes me wonder if its the switch. Also Im told that you cannot use a the standard scan tool to check codes, you need to plug into the transfer case/transmission plug to see whats going on! most places only check the obdII ot whatever port in the cab. anyone else know somethin give me a shout at likeunosheit@aol.com

Jimmy W Gray
 Email

10/28/2004
16:26:46

Thanks for the message. One of my buddies works for a mechanic shop, He is going to plug in a scanner and see what that tells us. I will keep you informed. Hopefully it's not anything too bad.

Later,

Jimmy

crankshaft
 Email

11/04/2004
04:03:05

For anyone with check lights coming on if your sure that every thing is fine then
1. turn car off and disconnect negitive battery cable.
2. wait about 20 min.
3. reconnect battery cable and start car.

this should work. by the way don't let the neg. cable touch the positive cable.

Jason
 Email

11/06/2004
00:22:11

I bought a '99 used back in '03 and had the same problem. When the light came on (around 37K miles) I took it too the dealer to have it check. Nothing. After doing some research and talk to a few chevy mechanics, I decided to replace the selector switch. The switch cost about $60 and took 15 minutes to replace. The truck now has 100K on it and I've never had that light turn on sense. So... my recommendation... replace the switch. That's probably your problem.

Jimmy W Gray
 Email

11/06/2004
01:22:44

I will give that a whirl. If it dosent work, I will just get a 2 Wheel Drive..

Thanks,

Jimmy

Mike Olsen
 Email

12/30/2004
19:59:40

I have a 2000 Z71 and I am having the same problem. I am going to buy the selector switch and see if that works. The Service 4WD light comes on after the light on the selector switch starts going on and off by itself. When I tap and the dash, the selector light goes on and off. I'll hope that works. Your guys messages have been a lot more informative than the mechs that have checked it out.

Tom Greenleaf
 Email

12/31/2004
11:00:17

Folks - complain directtly to GM. It works and they do want you to buy another someday. If they don't help you you don't have to. Vote with your purchase and follow up help, Happy new year, Tom Greeneleaf

Jimmy Gray
 Email

1/02/2005
19:48:45

Jaime Benitez
 Email

1/09/2005
11:39:04
96 tahoe

I have a 96 Tahoe 4wd my check engine light came on then my check gages light came on after that my RPM and speepometer stop working but all my gages work. The transmission also stoped shifting all at the same time does anybody know if there is a rpm sensor or what might be going on with my truck oh also my light that shows what gear my truck is in shuts off it does not show what gear your in

Willard Ison
 Email

1/10/2005
09:44:55

My son has a 96 Blazer, and his did the same thing,I did a code scan on it and it came up with a dealer option code at least thats what I was told, anyway I took it to the transmission shop and had the transmission rebuilt fixed all of it trouble. The model of automatic transmission in these vehicles is a piece of crap, if you can get an allision from a GMC Truck vehicle all GMC's come standard with an allision transmission which are much better than the chevy one.

Jimmy Gray
 Email

1/10/2005
11:16:43

Did you check fuses? That would be the first thing I would look @. The only thing I know that is on that tranny is a MPH wire that should come up thru the firewall into the dash. I havent heard of a RPM sensor. I would think that would be on the electrical side of the engine..nothing is manual anymore..

Jimmy

John Popp
 Email

1/29/2005
14:58:36

My 4wd light started to come on about a year ago on my 1999 silverado. I did some research and found out that 90% of the time the push button switch on the dash was the problame. I changed the switch in the dash and the light hasen't came on for about 9 months. I took the old switch apart and found that it had a whole bunch of bad solder joint. I think I could fixed the old swith my self. The new switch was only around $60
from GM. Vary easy to install only took about 10 min.

Jimmy Gray
 Email

1/29/2005
19:13:48

My Driver side hub assembly thrashed out on me last week, and now that it's fixed..my "Service 4WD" light has not came on yet...maybe the system was trying to tell me something was wrong after all..

mybiggmc4x4
 Email

2/10/2005
21:24:30
RE: oil gauage on dash

I own a 91 GMC 3/4ton ext.cab 4x4 and i have had a problem with my oil preasure gauge on my dash. The motor has just been rebuilt and all new sensors(thats not cheap!!!),but the oil pressure gauge makes my check guage light flicker from low oil pressure readings.I even went as for as replaceing the oilpump with a high volume and double checked my mains.If anyone could give some knowledge on this problem i would be grateful to you. thanks

Jimmy Gray
 Email

2/10/2005
23:45:15

Sounds like a short to me. I havent worked on an oil guage in a long time. I have an 80' Ford and I had to replace the sending unit a couple times..let me know what happens

mybiggmc4x4

2/11/2005
21:02:27
RE: oil preassure

i just put a new sending unit on it,worked good for about 15 minutes then back to the same problem. any other ideas???

Jimmy Gray
 Email

2/13/2005
18:28:53

You said it's just a light right? Does it have an actual guage that shows the pressure?..If it does, how many PSI's does it show...& does it drop at all?

Rosie G.
 Email

2/24/2005
18:47:39

i have '93 chevy suburban and last week my brother checked to see why was the stering wheel oil dripping alot and then now my check gages light comes up...can someone tell me what's wrong???

mybiggmc4x4
 Email

2/24/2005
19:14:02

yes it has a guage,when cold reads almost 20psi,then drops as the engine heats up.i put an after market guage on,it reads 20psi more frequently but doesnt raise much with rpm of engine.at the most 30-32psi.then the other day it dropped with engine idle as well.???

jimmy
 Email

2/26/2005
09:43:26
anti freeze

I have a 1998 full size 4x4 z71 pickup. Just recently i started noticing the strong smell of anti freeze especially after it has been driven. I think it has a leak but when i look for one i cant locate where it is coming from. Do you have any ideas?

BRANDON
 Email

3/11/2005
01:02:52
RE: ANTI FREEZE

I HAVE THE SAME 1998 FULL SIZE 4X4 Z71 AND NOTICED THE SAME THING ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND COULDNT FIND A LEAK EITHER BUT CHECK YOUR ANTI FREEZE RESEVOIR AND IT WILL BE EMPTY AFTER ABOUT 3 WEEKS OF DRIVING AFTER YOU FEEL IT UP TO HOT MARK WHEN THE ENGINE IS HOT. TODAY I NOTICED A DRIP UNDERNEATH THAT WASNT THERE BEFORE BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHERE ITS COMING FROM. SO I THINK I AM JUST GOIN TO REPLACE THE HOSES AND SEE IF THAT TAKES CARE OF IT. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OR HAVE FIGURED IT OUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Brent Lyon
 Email

3/17/2005
07:04:53

I have 99 siverado 4x4. My service 4x4 light also keeps coming on. I have taken it to three different places and have had 3 different answer. Fist said it was transmission, 2nd said transfer case, 3rd i took it to the dealer they said it was the transfer case switch module. the dealer told me it would cost 600 dollars to fix, that cant be right.

Brent Lyon
 Email

3/17/2005
07:05:02

I have 99 siverado 4x4. My service 4x4 light also keeps coming on. I have taken it to three different places and have had 3 different answer. Fist said it was transmission, 2nd said transfer case, 3rd i took it to the dealer they said it was the transfer case switch module. the dealer told me it would cost 600 dollars to fix, that cant be right.

Randy12758
 Email

4/01/2005
01:58:21
1991 Olds TORNADO CODE 42 3.8LT

My car has no spark I replaced Ingintion Module crack sencore and cam sencore checked out the engine control harnis and no broken wires . What pin # should I check to the ECM . I also put in a new fuel pump relay and all the fuses are good !
I need to know wire color and pin # please .I would like to know how to tell if the ECM is bad .

Randy12758
 Email

4/01/2005
01:58:37

My car has no spark I replaced Ingintion Module crack sencore and cam sencore checked out the engine control harnis and no broken wires . What pin # should I check to the ECM . I also put in a new fuel pump relay and all the fuses are good !
I need to know wire color and pin # please .I would like to know how to tell if the ECM is bad .

Randy12758
 Email

4/01/2005
01:58:34

Randy12758
 Email

4/01/2005
01:59:26

Bezanis
 Email

4/07/2005
10:38:09

I have a 99 Z71 that the extended warranty I bought just expired on. And the service 4wd light has started comming on. Also when I press one of the 4wd selector buttons the only thing it does is blink, 4wd does not engage. I replaced the selector switch after reading this forum,...but unfortunately for me that did not fix the problem. Any ideas???

Bezanis
 Email

4/07/2005
10:38:22

I have a 99 Z71 that the extended warranty I bought just expired on. And the service 4wd light has started comming on. Also when I press one of the 4wd selector buttons the only thing it does is blink, 4wd does not engage. I replaced the selector switch after reading this forum,...but unfortunately for me that did not fix the problem. Any ideas???

Bezanis
 Email

4/07/2005
10:38:33

JLN
 Email

5/04/2005
12:45:44
SERVICE 4WD LIGHT

I HAVE A 2000 MODEL Z71. I CHANGED THE SELECTOR SWITCH AND THE LIGHT STILL COMES ON AND STAYS ON. IF ANYBODY CAN GIVE ME ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO FIX IT, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

Donna Hartman
 Email

5/27/2005
15:43:00
transfer case

I have a 98 chevy blazer 4x4.For the last month now the transfer case switches on it's own.Does not have auto shift.I have talked to dealers and they have never of it.I also have sent emails to different places. No one seems to know anything.I hope someone can give me some advice.

Donna Hartman
 Email

5/27/2005
15:43:31
transfer case

I have a 98 chevy blazer 4x4.For the last month now the transfer case switches on it's own.Does not have auto shift.I have talked to dealers and they have never of it.I also have sent emails to different places. No one seems to know anything.I hope someone can give me some advice.

Alex Gross
 Email

11/13/2005
21:14:45

I have a 1999 2500 chevy.My service 4x4 light came on the other day on my wife while driving down interstate.I then went out to check and the
light was out.I drove the truck the next day and
checked my connections on the transfer case.they
were ok.When I lowered it off the lift and turn the
key on the 4x4 light came on.I noticed that the
4 high led was not lit when I turned the key to
on when the switch module went through its test.I
tapped on the 4 high and the light illuminated.
That kinda leads me to thinking that it is the
switch module.after reading these messages I'm
goning to replace the switch module thanks to
these messages.thank you and I will reply back
if this fixes the problem.

Alex Gross
 Email

11/13/2005
21:14:54

I have a 1999 2500 chevy.My service 4x4 light came on the other day on my wife while driving down interstate.I then went out to check and the
light was out.I drove the truck the next day and
checked my connections on the transfer case.they
were ok.When I lowered it off the lift and turn the
key on the 4x4 light came on.I noticed that the
4 high led was not lit when I turned the key to
on when the switch module went through its test.I
tapped on the 4 high and the light illuminated.
That kinda leads me to thinking that it is the
switch module.after reading these messages I'm
goning to replace the switch module thanks to
these messages.thank you and I will reply back
if this fixes the problem.

JOSE G.
 Email

11/29/2005
02:08:00
RE: 99 Chevy Silverado battery light on!!!

99 silverado, everything work ok but the dash board, somethimes the battery light comes on and the dash doesnt work, like the speedometer, the rpm, the gas, the temp, oil press. none of those gauges work when the light is on, is not the fuses because sometimes the gauges work and the battery light is off. what can be the problem?
and what can i do about it?

P 1

Post a reply to this message:
Name:
Email:
Notify me when I get a reply to my message:Yes  No

Subject:

New Topic!New Topic! NEW Automotive Forums and MESSAGE BOARDS for CarJunky New Topic!New Topic!

please post new messages here!!
This system will not accept new posts.....

Copyright . , Carjunky.com, Carjunky.net, All Rights Reserved.