Carjunky.com [ return ]
FromMessage
Avril H.
 Email

8/10/2004
16:07:17
Subject: 2003 Ford Escape XLT
IP: Logged

Is anyone else having a problem with the airbag and battery lights on their 2003 Ford Escape???
My airbag light keeps coming on and flashing its code..then it stays on...also my battery light flickers on and off...Ford has "fixed" this problem twice now...Guess what??? Still happens!!
Other than that, it runs great...I love it...just
those little annoying things occurring.

Stefania
 Email

9/23/2004
18:26:12
RE: 2003 Ford Escape XLT

Yes! My 2002 Escape has had the same problems. I get the 4 flashes followed by the 7 flashes of my airbag light for the past month. Its also happened to me about 1.5 years ago. Ford Repair shop wants 125$ up front for diagnostics before deciding if i will be covered on my extended warranty. It is a seriose problem in that the airbag will not work should you get into an accident. Since i am over my 36000 mile warranty I called Ford Directly to find out if it is covered under the Passenger Restraint Warranty. I'll find out next week and I will keep you posted.

Avril H.
 Email

9/23/2004
18:55:47

Mine is still flashing and staying on but I've gotten good at ignoring it. Sometimes it'll be on
and sometimes it won't come on at all...that's why
I feel it's an electrical glitch or something...
I purchased the extended warranty up to 75000 but
have to pay $100 deductible every time I need to
take car in so I'm trying to let a bunch of little
problems add up so I'll get my moneys worth..haha

Regan
 Email

10/03/2004
11:13:10

My battery light also keeps coming on and off. Reading other owners with this same problem, is this okay to ignore? I didnt get an extended warrenty, I have 35,0000 miles. I too like the my Escape, but this drives me crazy!!

Avril H.
 Email

10/03/2004
12:13:51

If you still have any of your warranty left it
wouldn't hurt to have them look at it. A lot of
times you can do a little "fix-it" trick of your
own and try unhooking the battery cables for a minute or two then hooking them back up. This actually works for awhile but if there's an inner
electrical glitch,the light will eventually start winking at you again. I'm not worrying about it unless my truck starts running bad. Good Luck...

idunno

10/07/2004
16:47:55
RE: 2003 Ford Escape XLT....and policy...

keep in mind that even tho your over your warantee period, if the problem has been ONGOING and you had previous work done at the dealership when UNDER warantee...you are then still covered.

ALSO....you might be elligible for a dealer POLICY ADJUSTMENT.....this depends on how good you are at presenting your argument to the service manager and the zone rep.

ALSO...in any case like this..you want to check up and see if there are any TSB (tech service bulletins) issued by the factore re: your problem. The dealeships will not tell u about these .....you have to present the info to them.

tom

10/17/2004
14:38:30

check for recalls on your car, the clock spring in the steering wheel may be over sprung, this would be a safty recall from the company. find the recall notice on line and print it out and take it to the dealer. if thats the problem then they must fix it at no charge.

Lorrie
 Email

11/09/2004
16:05:06
2001 ford escape

A few days ago my airbag light started flashing and staying on. I've already had two other sensors fixed since I bought it in April 04. Could this light be a bad sensor? or something more serious?

Avril H.
 Email

11/10/2004
13:35:27

It would appear that our beloved Ford Escapes
have an ongoing problem with the airbag lights.
I don't know if this light is flashing because
the airbag isn't working or if it's just an
electrical problem. I certainly hope our airbags
are still working. Looks like Ford needs to do
a recall on them so this problem can be fixed for
good but I think it would take a heck of a lot for
Ford to do that...I think I'm going to give them
a buzz and tell them to come to this site and see
how many people are having this same problem.

Lorrie
 Email

11/10/2004
14:22:52

Thanks for answering my post. I checked the flashing of the lights and it flashes 4 times...stops...flases 6 times....stops and repeats. Does this mean anything?

Avril H.
 Email

11/11/2004
12:57:58

Yes, that is the "error" code...I think mine is
4 then 7 or it might be the same as yours 4 then
six..then the light stays on...Sometimes when I
start it up, the light won't come on and start
flashing until I hit a bump in the road...it has
to be faulty electrical wires or something...It
bugs the heck out of me that these "technicians"
haven't been able to fix it...there has to be a
problem with ALL of the Escapes...people are just
ignoring the light...I'm 7 months pregnant with my
first child, so I really hope the airbag works...

Lorrie
 Email

11/11/2004
13:15:22

First off congrats on your baby! I did some research yesterday and I found a list of ford codes and what they mean.

4 then 6 is a code 46 (there is no code 47 so yours is probably the same as mine) means...

46 LH crash sensor- not mounted to vehicle properly.

I work at a company that repairs RV's and they're going to diagnose it Monday and I will let you know what they find out. I'm pretty sure we are having the same problem and both our codes are 46.
I'll post Mon or tues...

So far I've had the following sensors fixed: seat belt, gas cap, battery and now the air bag. I'd say ford definitly has a sensor problem with the Escapes. Other then that I love mine.

Lorrie

Avril H.
 Email

11/12/2004
13:12:44

Thanks for the info...very informative...and it
leads me to believe that in the event of a head-on
crash, my airbag won't deploy because that sensor
tells it to deploy and it hasn't been mounted on
the vehicle properly...Wouldn't that be your
guess too??? I look forward to your email at the
beginning of the week...I too love my Escape though, even with all the little "quirks"...I'm also not about to go thru the hassle of trying to
find another vehicle right now...Thanks for the
congrats too...We're really looking forward to
meeting our little boy...Take care....

Lorrie
 Email

11/12/2004
16:51:37

That would be my guess...I think LH means the left
side isn't mounted properly...which is where we sit. Justin promises me they will look at it monday so I'll let you know then.

A little boy! how awesome for you!!!

Take care...

Mike
 Email

11/23/2004
13:04:23

Hi everyone. Just brought my 2003 Escape back for 3rd time for the radiator light - they top off fluid and said is okay - they did a pressure test and found no leaks - could this be a sensor problem also? Glad I don't have the airbag sensor problems, that would drive me crazy. Also, might help someone down the road - when I had my brakes done a while back (I use my Escape to deliver mail so am on my 2nd set of pads) - they told me the factory rotors were not up to spec (were too thin) so they were covered under warranty.

Avril H.
 Email

11/23/2004
13:16:28

Yep, looks like your Escape is falling in line
with ours...Maybe the WHOLE sensor panel needs to
be replaced or something...All these different people have different lights coming on for no reason...at least we hope no reason...other than
a faulty sensor or wire or something...Seems like
Ford has a big problem with these Escapes...2001
thru 2004...I vote RECALL or SERVICE BULLETIN...
How about you??? That would be too much work for
Ford though...Good Luck...

Amber
 Email

11/25/2004
06:13:43

UGGGGGG.. Looks like I am falling under the "flashing airbag light" I was on my way to Alabama for THanksgiving and well.. it started flashing at me. Of course no clue about it so here I am tryin to read up on it. I do not have an extended warranty and I am hoping that Ford will do a recall or be able to fix this or solve it. Please keep me updated on what you guys here and thank you. Good luck all

Avril H.
 Email

11/25/2004
14:36:00

Welcome to the "Flashing Airbag Light club"...
it appears to be exclusively for owners of Ford
Escapes...ha ha...I can't believe so many other
people are having this problem...I guess no one
is telling Ford or they probably would have done
something by now...Seems like they need a jump-
start...Happy Thanksgiving...

Tom Greenleaf
 Email

11/27/2004
11:18:47

Dear Goodness!!!! All you folks have had a similar problem? Get on Ford's butt NOW. Have your VIN ready and demand this get fixed on them!

Good luck, Tom Greenleaf

Avril H.
 Email

11/27/2004
15:01:34

Alas, you are so right. We all need to gang up
on Ford and make them do something about these
problems or people are really going to start
getting annoyed and lose faith in their Escapes.
Happy Holidays....

Tom Greenleaf
 Email

11/27/2004
18:01:58

It's always high time to complain about things like this - especially safety concerns. I will be posting one soon about a GM brake fault. Just imagine how many folks are having the same problem if you see this many on one web site!

I was working at a Ford Dealer in the 70s when the famous Pinto exploding gas tank finally was recalled.

I think it helps to tell the company that it is the LAST product you will ever own made by them if you don't see some satisfaction. Be well and good luck to all of you, Tom Greenleaf

Anonymous

12/08/2004
20:34:29

My 2001 escape stalls when ever speed below 45. Took it in for recall of this problem. Did not solve problem they now repalaced the idle modul and cleaned air intake for $313.
Is there a service bull for this problem.
In any case between this and the four brake rotor and pad sets it has gone through, I think I am going to let some one else buy this from me.

Lorrie
 Email

12/09/2004
13:02:35

As mysteriously as my air bag light started flashing it stopped! I still had it checked out after it stopped flashing and they could locate nothing wrong. So I went on my planned trip to Ca. for Thanksgiving and when I got there my fuel cap light stated flashing. This went on for about 5 days when it all of a sudden stopped. It seems like if it's not one thing flashing it's another????

Lorrie

Andy Y.
 Email

12/11/2004
00:58:15

Actually I'm not an owner for a Ford Escape, but instead a Mazda 2002 Tribute which is essentially the same vehicle. Since I have purchased the SUV, I have brought it into the shop 9 times and it still isn't fixed. I think Ford/Mazda should issue a recall or something on this problem.

For the person with the stalling problem from 12/08, I had the same problem before and they had to reprogram the on board computer.

Avril H.
 Email

12/11/2004
13:12:13

Boy are we putting together a rapidly growing club
of irritated car owners here. It's like a little
family, isn't it??? ha ha...Well, good luck to
everyone...My airbag light actually stayed off
for a week then came back on when we went over a
hard bump on the interstate...that's so odd!!!
Happy Holidays everyone...

Jeff D.

12/27/2004
19:55:34
2001 Ford Escape XLT

hey, I'm another member of flashing airbag club. I "joined" last night.

Lorrie
 Email

12/27/2004
21:05:08

Last week my airbag light started flashing again. So I made another appointment to have it checked out only to have it stop the next day. I can't afford to have it checked only to be told nothing is wrong. This is driving me nuts!

Avril H.
 Email

12/28/2004
11:09:55

Jeff, welcome to our club...My airbag light has
stayed on since we went over the bump on the
Interstate...I emailed Ford and told them about
our club here and they pretty much said "Let us
know if we can assist you"...I thought I WAS letting them know that we needed assistance with
this matter...How many people have to get this
problem before they recall or repair??? I wonder.
Take care everyone...

Andy Y
 Email

12/28/2004
15:23:08

If anyone is getting a error code 47 on the airbag light. This is what I found out yesterday.

There are new modfied pretensioners available. Also if you move the seat back and forth a lot (passender and driver sides), this causes the resistance in the wire which should be 2 ohms to increase to 4 ohms. The solution was to solder 2 of the wires under the seats together and reshrinkwrap them. Don't know if this is going to work but just letting you know what I'm going through. BTW, I'm the guy that posted based on the 2002 Mazda Tribute. Attempt number 10 to repair.

Way to go Ford/Mazda!

If you have a lot of problems with you vehicle, you may want to report it to Mazda or Ford Corporate. The dealers should have the telephone number. You only need to ask them.

Lorrie
 Email

12/28/2004
17:39:57

Hi Avril and the rest of the flashing airbag light club.

What Jeff said makes sense to me. When my husband drives my escape he adjusts the seat and then I move it back so this could explain why the drivers side air bag light always flashes the code 47.

This morning I heard about a recall on 2001 - 2004 Escapes...can't remember what it's for but they said something about something not opening during a collision. Has anyone heard anything about this recall?

Andy Y.
 Email

12/28/2004
18:27:34

There is a recall for some of the Mazda/Ford models for the Lock system and Speed cables.

Ref:
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V605000
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V583000

You can find more information on your vehicle/year on
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Lorrie
 Email

12/28/2004
21:07:26

will ford send us something about the recall or do we just call a ford repair co and get it scheduled in?

Avril H.
 Email

12/28/2004
21:37:55

I also heard something about an Escape recall...
something to do with the back door...I'm in the
process of researching this...thanks for all of the new info....Good Luck....

jeff

1/03/2005
18:22:39

An update on my earlier airbag light problem. Just before it started coming on, I did have passengers adjusting the seat (even a big guy sat in the seat). That got me thinking. Hmmm... I looked under the passenger seat and saw the airbag switch. Also saw where a black/grey thread was pressing (or caught?) on it. I moved the thread, restarted the car, and the light hasn't come on again. Your results may vary. Now if someone could fix my transmission slip, I'd be happy.

Avril H.
 Email

1/03/2005
22:45:55

Thanks Jeff...I'm going to have my husband take a
look at that tomorrow...too dark now...hopefully
we'll do what Ford's techs couldn't...

Andy Y.
 Email

1/04/2005
11:05:09

If anyone is having the problem with the error 47 light, make sure that the service department calls up the corporate hotline to request the special modified pretensioners. They haven't been sent out to the service departments yet and will have to be shipped from the main warehouse. If you don't do this, you will get pretensioners that have a preexisting safety issue. This is what I was told from the Mazda service dept.

Donny
 Email

1/06/2005
14:04:03
1995 E350 W/ 7.5 gas

I am having problems locating where I am not getting fuel. I have just put a Ford code reader on my vehicle and it tells me that I have a fuel pump secondary circuit fault. The vehicle does have half a tank full of gas, but is not receiving fuel up to the engine.
please respond

Dave
 Email

1/14/2005
04:41:12

Looking at all the post for air bag lights flashing, and I think it is a Ford problem in general. I have a 2000 Ranger XLT 4x4, first the ABS light came on, been fixed and returned 5 times, then the check engine light, been fixed and returned 4 times, so today I took the bulbs out, and what do you know, the damn air bag light is flashing now...It flashes 2 then 7, anyone know what that means? I dont wanna remove that bulb, as my family might need the air bags sometime, anyone know how to reset system? Would be grateful...Thanks, Dave

Avril H.
 Email

1/14/2005
14:38:28

I don't know how to reset the system but we did
find the airbag wires under the passenger seat and
my husband unhooked the wire and placed it in a
position where the seat wasn't compressing it when
someone adjusted it and hooked the wire back up
and that airbag light hasn't come back on in over
a week now...it's amazing what consumers can figure out and we don't get paid near what an auto
technician does...Good Luck...

nvw12
 Email

1/19/2005
14:52:03

I have a 2004 Ford Escape, no problems with the lights on dash...thank goodness. However the car shuts down when I put it in park or reverse. Not consistently but often...

I am extremely frustrated because this is my 4th time at the dealer in the last 30 days.

Any others experiencing this problem? I checked the NHTSA site and found two other similar complaints.

Lorrie
 Email

1/20/2005
12:59:59

No problems like that with mine. That would really piss me off.

Avril H.
 Email

1/20/2005
21:44:29

I haven't seen that annoying airbag light since
my hubby moved that wire around under the passenger seat...amazing huh???...so little to fix
it...I got a safety recall notice in the mail today informing me of a throttle problem...the car
accelerating on its own and causing accidents...
nice to know..they said I need to take it to the
dealership and they'll repair at no charge...It's
for the 2002-2004 models...Be on the lookout for
yours...take care....

bill
 Email

1/22/2005
22:45:51

i to have that annoying airbag flash it is a code 46 and come to think of it it did not happen until the passenger seat was moved i will check this out thanks bill

Steve Sorrels
 Email

1/24/2005
20:31:24

I have a 2002 Escape. At 50,000 miles the transmission went out. I have no extended warranty so the repairs cost me a little over $2700.00. A few days after I got it back, the fromt airbag light started to flash. It would flash 4 times, then 7 times, then stay on.
I read what someone posted here about the wiring under the seat, went out and moved mine around and the airbag light went off. I have e-mailed Ford Motot Co in Michigan and told them of my dissatisfaction with their "quality" vehicle and told them of the problems I was having, all to no avail. I like the Escape itself, but do not like to have a vehicle that is constantly having problems. At Ford "Quality" is definitely NOT job one anymore.

Andy Y.
 Email

1/25/2005
00:39:06

Steve, I've tried that approach without avail as well. If you call them up and complain that other people are also having the same issue and that it is a preexisting condition, you may be able to get them to replace it. I'm at 1 month without the issue and I hope it stays that way.

bailey

1/31/2005
13:26:25

i also own a 2002 ford escape xlt, and have had mine in about 8 times for flashing air bag 4 then 7 times. the service techs keep blowing me off and today i was on my last nerve and my husband found this message board i thought i was the only one with this problem but i guess not, i even actually looked into the lemon law but it was too late!

Steve Sorrels
 Email

1/31/2005
15:41:21

Bailey, Try looking unde the passsenger seat and make sure the connector on the wires are plugged in well. I did this and my air bag light stopped flashing.

Lorrie
 Email

1/31/2005
16:43:57

Mine started flashing again this week end but mysteriously stopped today. It's a total pain and it seems like every time myself or my husband adjusts the drivers seat the light appears and then a few days later stops.

Andy

2/01/2005
09:40:12
RE: AIRBAG LIGHT BROUHAHA

Well, I feel like a bit of an outsider here as I have no escape (pun intended). I have a 2001 Ranger Edge (95K miles) which has just been a treat to own and drive except this morning when I started it up and the airbag light started flashing and then eventually stayed on. So being a bit of a computer geek, I made my first stop at Google and found you fine folks. Well, since my son took out the trash last night and always adjusts the seat when he drives (yes, taking out the trash with a truck, I have a really *really* long driveway), you can bet I'm heading out there now to look at the wiring under the seat. Thanks for all the clues. I'll repost with my results :)

Andy

2/03/2005
15:31:18

Well, so thank you all for your insights. That was it. It was way too cold to actually investigate in depth or fix, but wiggling the wires under the drivers seat solved the problem. Will be digging in deeper when the weather turns nice and tinkering in the driveway is practial again :P

Lorrie
 Email

2/03/2005
17:17:17

Welcome to the flashing airbag club Andy lol.

heather
 Email

2/13/2005
11:42:39

I have just gone in for my 50,000 km service and was told that my brakes and rotors were rusted and completely worn out. Has anyone else had this problem? it seems that is excessive wear to me after 2 years and only one driver.

michael
 Email

2/13/2005
13:34:59
RE: 2004 Ford Escape Limited

Same problem here, i guess 2004 was no better than previous years. I will investigate the clues about the wires under the seat and see what i can do, being a formerly ASE certified mechanic (prior to entering the military) maybe i can find something. Being stationed overseas bites as the Ford dealers will no do US automobile warranty work here (they say Ford USA never reimburses them), so maybe i will get to go to a dealer when i retun to the good old USA.

michael
 Email

2/13/2005
13:45:06

sorry i forgot this, first thing i did to my Escape was purchase some ceramic brake pads, (after reading up on Escape brakes, i deemed this a necessary upgarde) pretty expensive but they do not wear the already sub-standard rotors Ford saddled us with, they stay coooler, do not fade during heavy braking and are all around better, also they produce NO brake dust on the rims, and they last like forever. Good luck, i highly recommend them.

Lorrie
 Email

2/14/2005
12:53:58

First off my air bag light is on again. This is such a pain...second my escape produces so much brake dust I was begining to think it was my driving. I wash my escape and drive 4 blocks home and wala! brake dust! It's good to know it's a problem with the cheap brakes Ford installs. Ceramic brake pads...how much do they cost Michael? You said they were expensive how expensive?

heather
 Email

2/14/2005
14:58:54

I am also interested in the ceramic brakes. Will that also help with my rotors? Also, the wear is only on the left side, the right is normal. ARGHHH!

michael
 Email

2/14/2005
16:08:17

if your wear is only on one side then you likely have a sticking piston in your brake caliper and need it rebuilt or replaced, however if the worn out one is only barely out then this could be normal wear for the rotors, remember it takes only one thousandth of an inch (.001")/less than the thickness of a hair by 4 times; for a rotor to be out of spces, does you vehicle pull to one side constantly, and is this the worn out side? Or does it pull to one side while braking, and is this the worn side? No matter the vehicle, but especially for the Escape i highly recommend ceramic brakes, but be prepared they are quite a bit more expensive than the cheapest organic or metallic brakes, but they will prevent excessive wear on all components, including your rotors for the future.
good luck!

michael
 Email

2/14/2005
17:07:26

how expensive? like $60 to $80 bucks a set but take heart, these will last a lifetime (like 100,000 to 150,000 miles compared to 15,000 to 50,000 for conventional brakes and prevent wear to rotors (which could cause you to have to replace them), it is well worth the price.
good luck!

michael
 Email

2/15/2005
07:48:06
RE: 20034Ford Escape limited

just an update; my airbag flashes code 37 not 47 and adjusting wires under my seat did nothing, but thanks for the advice anyhow.

Bob

2/19/2005
12:04:53
RE: 2001 Ranger Edge

I too have the airbag warning light. It has flashed both code 46 and code 47 (currently 47). I will go check the wires under my seats.

40,000 miles - out of warranty of course. Like they could fix it anyway.

RO

2/23/2005
12:37:07
RE: 2001 Ford Escape XLT

my engine light stays on ,a code by my mileage is 6a 6e could anyone tell me what this means

Ryan
 Email

3/17/2005
21:44:29

4 flashes then 7
it's a 2004 ford ranger
I disconnected a 4 pin connector under both seats and
reconnected it again and it eliminated the problem
It seems that that means there is a problem with a sensor that
detects if something is occupying the seat.

Jamie
 Email

3/31/2005
15:09:35

Break dust galore and air bag lights accompanied by a burning wire smell! I can't seem to get a code and I looked under the seats, all fine there.
Ford is not my favorite right now!

hilary
 Email

4/04/2005
16:40:34
RE: 2002 Ford Escape XLT

FYI- I just wanted to share my story with everyone. My airbags lights flash on and off too. I took my Escape to the local dealer and they said I have seat belt pretension problems which means that my seatbelts won't lock if I am in an accident.
Oh- and Ford will not cover it and it will cost me $650.

hilary
 Email

4/04/2005
16:40:45

FYI- I just wanted to share my story with everyone. My airbags lights flash on and off too. I took my Escape to the local dealer and they said I have seat belt pretension problems which means that my seatbelts won't lock if I am in an accident.
Oh- and Ford will not cover it and it will cost me $650.

Eddie
 Email

4/07/2005
16:57:11
2002 ford ranger

My airbag light flashes 7 times then stays on what does that mean. This is the second time ive had this problem. Is it a major issue or can it be fixed easy

Matt
 Email

4/13/2005
19:03:07

I am in full agreement with the ceramic brake pad upgrade - and mine is going in this weekend. Any ideas on this one:

My ABS light keeps coming on when it snows or rains (something is getting wet in there) and I was wondering if a brake change would remedy this. Thanks.

Gina
 Email

4/17/2005
20:22:13

Where do you get ceramic brake pads? do the rotors need cutting or can I just swap out the pads?

Gina
 Email

4/17/2005
20:22:17

Where do you get ceramic brake pads? do the rotors need cutting or can I just swap out the pads?

Gina
 Email

4/17/2005
20:22:36

Dan
 Email

5/02/2005
08:58:40

transmission-problems
brake rotors-replaced
rear liftgate latch-replaced-still problems
radiator light-new sensor..problem starting again
air bag light-problem
wheel bearing-replaced
rear pasenger door-problem
All this for a vehicle at 56,000...junk

Dan
 Email

5/02/2005
08:58:55

transmission-problems
brake rotors-replaced
air bag light-problem
wheel bearing-replaced

Dan
 Email

5/02/2005
08:59:07

transmission-problems
brake rotors-replaced
air bag light-problem
wheel bearing-replaced

Heather
 Email

5/09/2005
20:01:20

I have a clunking and a squeaking on my front driver's side. It appears to be coming from the wheel area. It makes for a bumpy ride. Doesn't appear to be a shock or strut. Any help????

Heather
 Email

5/09/2005
20:01:30

I have a clunking and a squeaking on my front driver's side. It appears to be coming from the wheel area. It makes for a bumpy ride. Doesn't appear to be a shock or strut. Any help????

Paige
 Email

5/11/2005
00:18:40

Hello, I would like to join your airbag light club, as well as the radiator light club. I hope these are the only clubs I will need to join...lol

Paige
 Email

5/11/2005
00:18:47

Hello, I would like to join your airbag light club, as well as the radiator light club. I hope these are the only clubs I will need to join...lol

Bagwell
 Email

5/20/2005
15:15:24

Wanted to let everyone know that I have just found out that the
transmission problems I have been having with my 2002 Ford
Escape have been diagnosed as a ground circuit problem that
caused the gears to meld together in the transmission. The
construction of this car has the electrical path to ground going
through the transmission, and every time the car is started it
sends 250 volts through the transmission. Now I not only have
to rebuild the transmission, but because of the damage, the
tranny case leaked on the ball joints, which now have to be
replaced. The total estimate is $3650. Needless to say, I'm am
very sorry I bought this car. I have also had sensor light
problems almost from the very beginning. I have found Ford to
be unresponsive and less than truthful in my dealings with them.
This is the first and last Ford I will every purchase.

Bagwell
 Email

5/20/2005
15:15:59

Wanted to let everyone know that I have just found out that the
transmission problems I have been having with my 2002 Ford
Escape have been diagnosed as a ground circuit problem that
caused the gears to meld together in the transmission. The
construction of this car has the electrical path to ground going
through the transmission, and every time the car is started it
sends 250 volts through the transmission. Now I not only have
to rebuild the transmission, but because of the damage, the
tranny case leaked on the ball joints, which now have to be
replaced. The total estimate is $3650. Needless to say, I'm am
very sorry I bought this car. I have also had sensor light
problems almost from the very beginning. I have found Ford to
be unresponsive and less than truthful in my dealings with them.
This is the first and last Ford I will every purchase.

sherrie
 Email

5/20/2005
23:23:07

what about the gas pedal sticking on the escapes? anybody have info on this?

Carol G
 Email

5/30/2005
16:00:52

Hi - This is a great website. I was looking for info on the "46" code with my Ford Escape. Wow -is this a common problem!! Mine just came on for the 2nd time last night. Went out and found the wires under the seat and moved them around a bit and pushed them in to make sure they were plugged in well. My husband had been driving my car and the seat had been adjusted. Since I "moved" the wires around the light has not come back on. Thanks for the advice!!! Ford needs to do something about this problem though.

Carol G
 Email

5/30/2005
16:01:30

Hi - This is a great website. I was looking for info on the "46" code with my Ford Escape. Wow -is this a common problem!! Mine just came on for the 2nd time last night. Went out and found the wires under the seat and moved them around a bit and pushed them in to make sure they were plugged in well. My husband had been driving my car and the seat had been adjusted. Since I "moved" the wires around the light has not come back on. Thanks for the advice!!! Ford needs to do something about this problem though.

CarolG
 Email

5/30/2005
16:18:02

Hi - I also want to join the AIRBAG light club. Mine flashes 46 quite often. Did what the website suggested and looked under the seat and found the wires. My seat had been adjusted by another driver over the weekend before the light came on. Moved the wires around and made sure they were plugged in. Haven't seen the light since. THANKS for a great informative site!

Uncle Al
 Email

5/31/2005
20:07:13

My wife's 2003 Tribute just had the gas pedal
problem. It was fixed under warranty. I believe
there might have been a recall. She just had
the worn brakes shocker. That's why I'm here.
Doing research.

Mike
 Email

6/06/2005
17:21:15

Well after having good luck with a 91 Ranger
(295,500 miles) I bit the bullet and bought a used 2002 Ranger on Sunday. Imagine my feelings when I drove it today and got the flashing airbag light, code 47. Thanks to this message board, I just went outside and wiggled the wires, I couldn't get to the connections to unplug and replug, and it worked.(As he sits here with crossed fingers) Thanks to all!!

Rich

6/29/2005
15:19:35

I have a 2001 XLT. I had the same problem with the battery / electrical system light coming on and then sometimes going off.

Here's the fix for that: (sorry...didnt' read through the whole thread...too long...appologize if it's already been said)

Put more coolant in your coolant over-flow. Yep, that's right...the "low coolant" sensor in that tank seems to be tied in to the "battery/electrical system" trouble light. Don't ask me...but it worked.

Rich

Rich

6/29/2005
15:20:08

I have a 2001 XLT. I had the same problem with the battery / electrical system light coming on and then sometimes going off.

Here's the fix for that: (sorry...didnt' read through the whole thread...too long...appologize if it's already been said)

Put more coolant in your coolant over-flow. Yep, that's right...the "low coolant" sensor in that tank seems to be tied in to the "battery/electrical system" trouble light. Don't ask me...but it worked.

Rich

andy
 Email

6/30/2005
14:25:30
rebilding ford ranger motor

I would like any diagrams or information needed to put this motor i have back together into an original ranger body.

ro
 Email

6/30/2005
20:02:35

hi could anybody tell me if they could not open there hatchback or window, both. but the other doors unlock and lock fine.check the fuse panel look ok pulled out relay seems ok.is there something im missing

ro
 Email

6/30/2005
20:03:16

hi could anybody tell me if they could not open there hatchback or window, both. but the other doors unlock and lock fine.check the fuse panel look ok pulled out relay seems ok.is there something im missing

Mike
 Email

7/02/2005
23:47:44

First, I have been a member of the airbag light club for some time now with my 2001 Escape. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, it has 132,000 miles with no MAJOR repairs.

However, I've recently had problems with the liftgate not wanting to open (similar to ro).

Any ideas?

Mike
 Email

7/02/2005
23:47:49

First, I have been a member of the airbag light club for some time now with my 2001 Escape. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, it has 132,000 miles with no MAJOR repairs.

However, I've recently had problems with the liftgate not wanting to open (similar to ro).

Any ideas?

Mike
 Email

7/02/2005
23:48:00

Any ideas?

sherrie oldaker
 Email

9/25/2005
04:35:50

I had an accident in my Ford Escape. Going down my driveway - about 50 miles per hour - because the throttle stuck. I went airborne and then slammed into a tree. Airbag did not deploy either. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't get Ford to inspect the vehicle. It's been sitting for eight months now. Somebody let me know what to do with this.

sherrie oldaker
 Email

9/25/2005
04:36:22

I had an accident in my Ford Escape. Going down my driveway - about 50 miles per hour - because the throttle stuck. I went airborne and then slammed into a tree. Airbag did not deploy either. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't get Ford to inspect the vehicle. It's been sitting for eight months now. Somebody let me know what to do with this.

Rob1995
 Email

9/29/2005
13:03:05
RE2001 Mazda tribute

Having trouble with minor transmission shudder. Anyone had this problem and if you know the fix it would be appreciated. Thanks

Rob

Rob1995
 Email

9/29/2005
13:03:14
RE2001 Mazda tribute

Having trouble with minor transmission shudder. Anyone had this problem and if you know the fix it would be appreciated. Thanks

Rob

Rob1995
 Email

9/29/2005
13:03:50
RE2001 Mazda tribute

Rob

Rob1995
 Email

9/29/2005
13:03:54
RE2001 Mazda tribute

Rob

Jim
 Email

10/06/2005
09:32:13

Hey Rob, Is your shudder around 20K/hr on acceleration, I have this on my 2001 Escape, also as it goes into overdrive sometimes.

Lisa
 Email

10/28/2005
13:58:43
2002 Ford Escape

My Escape has a burning smell after driving it for about 10 minutes and we haven't found out where it is coming from. Also the engine light stays on. Anyone else having this issue? I don't want to have to take it to Ford and spend alot to have it fixed, if it is something simple. Does any of the recalls consists of this?

Lisa
 Email

10/28/2005
13:58:57
2002 Ford Escape

My Escape has a burning smell after driving it for about 10 minutes and we haven't found out where it is coming from. Also the engine light stays on. Anyone else having this issue? I don't want to have to take it to Ford and spend alot to have it fixed, if it is something simple. Does any of the recalls consists of this?

Lira

11/10/2005
21:50:16
RE: 2001 Mazda Tribute

The same problem has 2001 Escape. We found that transmission fluid should be filled lightly over maximum level, it solves that problem.

Lira

11/10/2005
21:50:33

The same problem has 2001 Escape. We found that transmission fluid should be filled lightly over maximum level, it solves that problem.

Lira

11/10/2005
21:51:17

Lira
 Email

11/10/2005
21:52:55

Renee
 Email

12/05/2005
17:21:14
Airbag Light 2004 Ford Escape XLT

My airbag light came on yesterday and really rattled me! I did a search last night for info & found this site. Seems this is quite common and after reading some postings I decided to adjust the wires under the pass seat. Urecka, It stopped blinking! Earlier in the day I had adjusted that seat back just before the light came on. After reading post on this site, I have fixed the problem myself! Thanks to everyone and your info, I just saved myself a ton of money by not going to the dealer. (They prob couldn't have figured it out anyway!) Thanks again- Renee

Renee
 Email

12/05/2005
17:21:21
Airbag Light 2004 Ford Escape XLT

My airbag light came on yesterday and really rattled me! I did a search last night for info & found this site. Seems this is quite common and after reading some postings I decided to adjust the wires under the pass seat. Urecka, It stopped blinking! Earlier in the day I had adjusted that seat back just before the light came on. After reading post on this site, I have fixed the problem myself! Thanks to everyone and your info, I just saved myself a ton of money by not going to the dealer. (They prob couldn't have figured it out anyway!) Thanks again- Renee

ck

12/30/2005
15:53:55
RE: Transmission shudder

I had the transmission shudder on my 2001 tribute.
Apparently its a known issue and require reporogramming of the PCM and flush and refill of transmisison fluid.
Its only covered if still under warranty.

John
 Email

1/10/2006
15:50:40

Transmission shutter is caused by worned-burned fluid.
The trans needs to be drained including the converter. If it is not done correctly and not filled with the correct fluid it will continue to shutter.
Even after the trans service is done it will do it for the next 500 miles. Shutter is caused by the OD band apply. Trans service should be done at 30,000 mile intervals
The PCM also needs to be re-programed.
Posted by a former Ford Motor Employee.

John
 Email

1/10/2006
15:51:03

The trans needs to be drained including the converter. If it is not done correctly and not filled with the correct fluid it will continue to shutter.
Even after the trans service is done it will do it for the next 500 miles. Shutter is caused by the OD band apply. Trans service should be done at 30,000 mile intervals

John
 Email

1/10/2006
15:52:00

There is a charge for this maintance service

Javi

1/20/2006
13:16:54

It seems like the Escape is having way too many problem. Normally all of Fords cars and not that good but the SUV and trucks are normally very good. I beleive Ford put the mustangs V6 enigne in this SUV and since is a cars engine and trans is having problems, same thing with the electrcal.
Im just going to go in this weekend and trade in my escape, I'll try to get an Sport Trac which is what I originally wanted, it comes with a 4.0 V6 and thats a good Ford engine. I will tell them about this site to see if I can get them to do something about all of these problem.
Good Luck

Jessica
 Email

2/06/2006
21:53:34
RE: 2004 Mazda Tribute

Ok, now I have a Mazda Tribute which, really, is just a Ford Escape with a different emblem on the back and I too, like you guys, have the airbag light problem. It does the 4, then 6. It seems to be running great, except for this annoying light thing. Has anyone heard of anymore Mazda's doing this???

Jessica
 Email

2/06/2006
21:53:46
RE: 2004 Mazda Tribute

Ok, now I have a Mazda Tribute which, really, is just a Ford Escape with a different emblem on the back and I too, like you guys, have the airbag light problem. It does the 4, then 6. It seems to be running great, except for this annoying light thing. Has anyone heard of anymore Mazda's doing this???

Melanie
 Email

2/08/2006
14:52:42

Hello my name is Melanie and I've been a member of the airbag light club for 2 days... :o)

My light came on yesterday and I began worrying! I'm so glad to have found this site before taking it in and having them tell me an enormous price for repair!

I have a 2003 Escape and I have a TON of brake dust as well. My brake pads and rotors were just replaced but I will definitely check out the ceramic pads next time!

Someone else mentioned the clunking noise in the front... does anyone know where that is coming from or what is causing it?

Thanks!!

Keith
 Email

3/18/2006
23:21:39
2001 Ford Escape XLT

I have just started having a problem with my 01 Escape XLT...the radiator warning light is on. The reservoir is full.

What could be the problem??

Keith
 Email

3/18/2006
23:21:55
2001 Ford Escape XLT

I have just started having a problem with my 01 Escape XLT...the radiator warning light is on. The reservoir is full.

Keith
 Email

3/18/2006
23:21:49
2001 Ford Escape XLT

Keith
 Email

3/18/2006
23:22:04
2001 Ford Escape XLT

Keith
 Email

3/18/2006
23:29:02
2001 Ford Escape XLT

P 1

Post a reply to this message:
Name:
Email:
Notify me when I get a reply to my message:Yes  No

Subject:

New Topic!New Topic! NEW Automotive Forums and MESSAGE BOARDS for CarJunky New Topic!New Topic!

please post new messages here!!
This system will not accept new posts.....

Copyright . , Carjunky.com, Carjunky.net, All Rights Reserved.